Thursday, July 03, 2008

Random Thoughts

This is going to be one of those random "catch up" kind of posts!

Reading--I just finished The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. The book goes through the life of a family from India. The parents moved to the States as a young married couple and made a life here. I learned a lot about Indian culture--it was fascinating. There was almost a disconnect between the parents and their children because the children were "American" and knew very little of the family and culture in India that the parents missed so badly.

**************************************************************************************
We are finalizing choices for curriculum for the year. On the list:

Tapestry of Grace, Year 3
Saxon Math 6/5
Latin for Children
Shurley Grammar 5
Noeo Science
Bible Cards (from Veritas Press)
Handwriting without Tears 4

Still looking at:
The Grammar of Spelling
Bible study of some sort
Art and Music are still being batted around too!
**********************************************************************************
With all the sticks in our backyard, Biscuit still chooses to chew on the patio furniture! (How long does puppy hood last?!)
**********************************************************************************
Today's agenda includes seeing the American Girl movie. I think Gracen is going to have a spell if she has to wait much longer. Also in the having a spell category, she has her own email address now and is just shy of giddy when she receives an email!
**********************************************************************************
Plans for the 4th: still trying to decide. Maybe a day trip somewhere fun. Maybe some firework watching. Definitely a relaxing time together.
*************************************************************************************
Big News: Gracen went under yesterday and sat on the bottom of the pool! Ordinarily, would probably not be such a big deal to her, but after last year's swimming lessons complete with 2 or 3 major nosebleeds, we weren't sure she'd ever stick her head under again. She conquered a major fear.
*********************************************************************************** Our church family has had several unexpected deaths this year. Each has been hard in its own way. Families are grieving the losses of children and the church , as a whole, grieves with them. I always struggled with what teach Gracen about death. We tend to view death as a non-issue until it happens. Then we are smacked in the face with it. Through these events, I think she has learned a little more that death is as much a part of life as living. She's also learning how to live out her faith because she is seeing it.
*********************************************************************************
At one of the funerals we attended, Gracen seemed a little nervous about what to do. I asked her if she would like to sign our names on the guest book. She went up and did that. Later, in the car, I asked her how she signed our names (I was curious if she put our first and last names--sometimes she forgets!) She responded, "in print, the lines were too small for cursive."
***********************************************************************************

Happy Fourth of July!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Death is a hard thing for kids. Us adults too. We had a very dear friend in NC at our church their that had adopted the kids and Bryan and I and she treated the kids like a grandparent would. She passed away last year from cancer. It was really hard! I still have moments when I cry over it from missing her. I'm so sorry your church has had so many lately!

Emmy is going to email Gracen about the movie- she wants to know if Gracen liked it.

Can't wait to see your McWane pics.

 

blogger templates