We have spent the weekend painting Gracen's room (before and after pictures will be posted soon--still working on getting everything back in place). Moving furniture is always a test of my personal fortitude as I see all the dust bunnies that have accumulated under the bed. I feel less somehow.
All the dust bunnies stirred my thoughts about cleanliness and such.
I learned, after years of driving myself crazy on Saturdays, to have a loose schedule of cleaning chores. Generally, we vacuum on Mondays and Fridays, do a general pick up, and clean the bathrooms while the clothes are washing. The other weekdays, floors get a "Swiffering" and things get picked up as needed. Because animals are a part of our lives, the floors get more attention than they may otherwise.
I am a self confessed germ-a-phobe. Public restrooms can really gross me out. Sneezing, coughing and yawning without covering one's mouth--I can almost see the germs coming out!! When it comes to homes, people have different levels of "clean comfort". Some people want to be able to go through their entire homes with a white glove test--and have it stay white! Others just want a path to get through. And, I suppose that most every woman will clean and clean when she is expecting guests in her home.
Keeping our home clean is important because I want us to be healthy, I want to take care of what we have been given, and I want to set a good example for Gracen. I hope that someone coming into our home will sense that. But, more than cleanliness, I hope a person coming in will feel welcome, at home. The level of clean really doesn't change for guests. Things may be in better order; but the clean is the same. You will probably see some dog fuzz--part of our life. However, our dogs are usually always in their "homes" (crates) when guests are over. You will also probably find some unfinished project of one sort or the other lying around-- again,part of our life.
In short, if you are on the lookout for some dirt, fuzz balls, etc. you won't be disappointed. I would much rather you look for a warm welcome, good conversation, something warm from the oven and a "y'all come back". Hopefully, you won't be disappointed there either!
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment