Another thing that makes this season fun is our church's annual Reformation Celebration. Each year, there are games designed for families to learn about the Protestant Reformers and have a lot of fun while doing it! The kids can dress up, if they wish and they get lots of candy at the games. It's a great time of family fun. This year, Jeff will be playing the part of Martin Luther--pictures will be displayed, provided he doesn't hide my camera!
I'm especially excited about this year because we are beginning to focus on the Reformers in school as well. We've just finished learning about The Hundred Years War and the Wars of the Roses. I thought I'd share a little about Jon Huss, the first Reformer we've talked about.
Jon Huss was born about 1370 in Bohemia (specifically Prague). He grew up in a spiritually dark time. The Pope had the final say in everything--it was believed that his voice was equal to Jesus'.Huss began preaching at Bethlehem Chapel in Prague. He preached that the Bible was the main authority in everyday life and should have first place in church services. The church overflowed with people. He conducted services in the Czech language and not in Latin as was required by the Pope. He was kicked out of Bethlehem Chapel but it didn't stop him from preaching. Crowds came to hear him speak in fields, forests and villages. He also wrote letters to his congregation. Though many worried for his safety, he said, " I will confess Christ as long as he gives me grace to do so. I will resist to the death all agreement with falsehood. A good death is better than a bad life."
In 1414, Huss was summoned to a church council meeting in the Swiss city of Constance. He was promised safety by the German Emperor. Unfortunately, this was a trick. Huss was imprisoned in horrible conditions and grew sick and frail.
He was finally summoned to appear before the council where he was shown a stack of his books and papers. The council asked him to admit that they were false. Huss' response: "I am ready to retract anything in them if I am shown from Holy Scripture where I am in error." Huss attempted to quote passages from the Bible to defend his writings; the Council would hear none of his arguments. They called on him once again to recant. Huss responded, "It would be better for me that a millstone were hung around my neck and that I should be cast into the sea before I should deny the truths of God."
The Council gave their verdict: Huss was condemned as a stubborn and open heretic. Huss' prayers were mocked by the Council as he was led out to be burned at the stake. One of his final prayers was, "Into your hands, Lord, I commit my spirit. Lord, help me to endure this cruel and shameful death for preaching Your holy gospel." His ashes were cast into the Rhine River.
(An interesting note...the name Huss (or Hus) means goose in Czech. The church leaders apparently laughed as Huss was being burned, for they were "cooking the goose and his Reformed ideas".)
The death of Jon Huss inspired many of his countrymen to follow Christ. His writings would also inspire other Reformers many years later.
(Information from Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History by Richard M. Hannula and Heroes of the Reformation published by Children's Ministry International.)
1 comment:
Thank you, Dana, for the info about John Huss. The men and women of this era inspire me so much by their courage and loyalty to Christ and His word. I hope, if I were in similar circumstances, I would be enabled to do the same...I am such a coward! We love you and your family. Can't wait to see Jeff. I guess he wonders what I'll ask him to do next!
Post a Comment