Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Disturbing but Worth Reading

This article was linked on another blog that I sometimes read. It is arguably one of the most disturbing things that I have read in a while. I guess I (and I hope I'm not alone) am so desensitized to the abortion issue that most of what I hear on the radio and read online doesn't register. Perhaps I am naive but it doesn't enter my mind that there are women who choose to have an abortion strictly for convenience often. This smacked me in the face--and I didn't like it. But maybe I needed the smack.


One of the reasons this bothered me so much (aside from the selfishness of the entire article) is that I literally only have about 2-3 friends who have had NO trouble conceiving children or carrying them to term. There are several children that I love tremendously that are adopted. They are walking, breathing testaments to adoption and to the selflessness of their birth mothers.

Abortion has become (or perhaps always has been) a political football of sorts. Hopefully, in the midst of all politics, we can remember that abortion is truly, fundamentally a heart issue. While policies are important and necessary, hearts are usually changed one at a time and on a very personal level.

4 comments:

Julie said...

That article made me sick to my stomach. The selfishness of humans is unbelievable. I wonder if she'll ever tell her son that she killed his siblings.

Anonymous said...

I wondered that too. The selfishness in the whole thing just completely dumbfounded me.

Anonymous said...

This was the worst article I have ever read in my entire life. It's amazing how pro-choice advocates are comforted thinking an 8 week old fetus is nothing more than some random organism...however, this doctor was able to tell that 2 of the babies were identical and tell the age of the next. Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

The article was nauseating, literally, but you're right, we need to see and hear these things to awaken our awareness of where we are as a country and culture and the guilt we bear for these murders. I got the feeling the husband, or dad, was much more reticent to destroy the lives...but hey, whose in charge here? Whose body is it, anyway?
Very sad.

 

blogger templates