Monday, November 03, 2008

My Only Election Post

I will vote tomorrow.

I will not vote because I believe in or fully endorse either candidate. In all honestly, I'm voting against one more than I am voting for the other.

I will not vote because I feel a moral obligation to do so.

I will not vote because I believe this is "God's Country". I believe that God upholds His church, His people regardless, no matter where they are.

I will not vote because I feel it is my duty.

I will not vote to "make my voice heard." I am jaded enough in all things political to believe that my voice is rarely heard by the decision makers!

I will vote because I am thankful. I am thankful to my Granddaddy who had to grow up way too fast in a foxhole; who had to make the decision to pull a trigger because either he or the enemy would die that day; who spent long months away from his family and longer months coming to terms with what he had seen and had to do while away.

I'm thankful that God brought him home when so many others did not.

I don't know if Granddaddy thought of his tour of duty as serving his country and protecting the freedoms we hold today or if he was simply doing what he was told. He was drafted. Either way, he fought.

Being thankful makes it easier for me to overcome my political pessimism and, honestly, the anger I sometimes feel when I am told over and over that voting is my duty, that we have to put "our" man from "our" party (whichever that may be) in office.

And, somehow, being thankful also make it easier for me to remember who is ultimately in control--and rest in that.

No comments:

 

blogger templates