Saturday, August 27, 2011

Remembering

I have a little secret to share with you.

I have always enjoyed the television show Little House on the Prairie. My sister will say that she hates the show because I used to make her watch the reruns after school. I don't remember doing that--and anyone who knows Niki knows that she is rarely made to do anything she doesn't want to do!

Little House comes on in the evenings on some channel and I have noticed something. While there are still a few that I like, I don't like them quite as much. I can't really explain why though I think it may have something to do with reading the books a few years ago! The show is, like most shows and movies based on books, loosely based on the book.

There is one show that I remember. Three children have lost their mother--their father had long since died. The voice over of the mother says something like, "Remember me with smiles and laughter. If you can only remember me with tears, don't remember me at all."

Today, on what would have been his 88th birthday, I'm remembering Granddaddy with smiles. In fact, I usually remember him with smiles.

I'm fortunate to have a lifetime of memories to look back on. He was an active part of my life and took the time to make those memories.

The neat thing is that I'm not the only one with memories. Nanny has sixty-six years of memories to smile about today. He had 2 children, each with their own lifetimes of memories to smile about. Each of his 4 grandchildren, each of his 3 great granddaughters, a church family, a community--so many people with memories. So many people that he loved, made memories with. A life well lived.

So today, I'll think about some of the memories. I'll probably even share a few with Gracen. I may even take a nap in Granddaddy's honor (he loved his naps)!

But I'll also think of him now, in Heaven with no pain or disease, and I will be thankful for the life that he lived--and for the life he is living.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Beautiful post, Dana. I remember Mr. Chester.

 

blogger templates