Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Freak Show

It's official. My body is some weird freak show.

The recent medical issues are a case in point. After weeks of pain in all upper body joints, I went to the doctor. As he was examining me, he mentioned that my symptoms sounded viral. He also mentioned rheumatoid arthritis and some other equally sounding nasty stuff.

I got the results of the blood work yesterday. Human Parvo. Seriously? I had to google it. I knew our dogs got vaccinated against that--and that we once had a dog drop dead when my dad gave it a Parvo vaccine at home. Dead as a hammer right there on the carport. Now it is funny (not the animal dying but the circumstances around his or her demise), when you are 6 or 7...not so much.

Turns out that in children, it is called Fifth disease and characterized by a rash. In adults, it is characterized by flu like symptoms, arthritis type symptoms, and headaches. It is viral (and not transferred to humans by animals), which means it has to run its course and its course can last several weeks up to a few months--I wish I could say I was surprised but, alas, it kind of figures.

I am incredibly thankful that this is all that it is. I just am always amazed at that relatively odd things that go on inside my body.

I'll go next week to have more blood drawn and see if the levels are going down.

In the meantime, I'll stay away from the Milk Bones and hope that Jeff doesn't make me sleep on the foot of the bed :)!





<span class=Photobucket" border="0">

3 comments:

Kecia said...

:( That stinks.

Angie said...

Dana, that is crazy!!!! I sure hope and pray yours doesn't last months!

Tina said...

So sorry! Hope you feel better sooner than expected!

 

blogger templates