Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Clothes, The Mannequin, and Me

Hello!

I've been trying to decide whether to blog here, set up a new blog on Wordpress, or not blog at all.

Truth is, I enjoy writing. There are times when the only way for me to process something is to write about it. I've long since given up on being a very regular blogger though!

I had the joy of spending some quality time with my 13 year old daughter yesterday. I took her shopping--clothes shopping. The past two times she and I have gone shopping together have ranked right up there with having a root canal. I loved spending time with her, even though there were some rocky moments.

However.

My apologies (not really) to clothing designers, manufacturers, and retail stores--much of what I saw yesterday while shopping for an Easter dress should have had P*RN PRINCESS scrawled somewhere along the mostly non-existent top. At best, the clothes would have made my 13 year old look like a 20 year old dressed for business (and I use the term loosely) during the day and hard core party girl at night.

Somewhere, I was sure I heard my Grandmother who had an affinity for the classic, tailored, feminine look huff and wonder "what in this world they are thinking?" followed by a good, Southern "bless their heart".

Shopping for clothes has never been my favorite thing to do--I'd much rather shop for books, house stuff, or technological gadgets. But, my girl is a bit of a clothes horse. I try to meet in the middle most of the time. Decency and coverage are non-negotiables. But, yesterday there wasn't much middle (or top or skirt) to meet in.

Finally the skies opened and angels sang. For there was a skirt/shirt combination that she really liked and that I felt was actually worthy of being called clothing. She ran to the rack to look for her size. I prayed.

Her size was not on the rack. I pleadedprayed some more.

The mannequin was wearing the outfit--maybe, just maybe.... Sure enough the mannequin was wearing the size my girl needed to try on.

I started to strip the mannequin myself but figured I would at least try to find a sales lady to help.

She took the arm off (I felt some degree of kinship). Turns out it was magnetic--I'm thinking my leg guy needs to work on this idea! I offered to hold the arm and told the lady that I was an amputee and, therefore, used to holding body parts.

So after stripping the mannequin, we headed back to try on the outfit. It fit! She liked it. I liked it. I felt like I had found the Holy Grail.

My other non-negotiable is that whatever we get should be on sale.

This wasn't on sale. I gladly paid for it.

I threw a scarf around the naked mannequin on the way out and thanked her for her help.









<span class=Photobucket" border="0">

1 comment:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Having just bought Easter dresses for my girls, I completely empathize with you and the lack of modest clothing for girls. I'm not big on shopping for clothes but God smiled on us that day and my girls found dresses (cute ones that I approved of) really quickly!

I wish God would smile on me like that every time I took them shopping. :)

 

blogger templates