Gracen has been down for a few days with a pretty bad cough/cold so we have colored, painted, crafted, read, and watched a few movies. She is finally beginning to feel better but the cough is lingering!
To get ready for Thanksgiving, she created these placemats for our table. The turkey shapes are a pattern I found here. We plan to make some kind of centerpiece for the table using more of the patterns. We have also been working on the Thankful chain. (We did trees in the past, see here for one from 2 years ago!)
We also been reading Thanksgiving books lately.
For the first time, we are planning to stay here and I will cook Thanksgiving dinner. I sure hope the recipes I have from my grandmothers turn out as well for me as they did for them! Growing up, Thanksgiving wasn't complete without Nanny's cornbread dressing. Grandma usually made an apple pie with cinnamon red hots melted in it. Mom has always made sweet potato pies and pecan pies.
Looking through those recipes made me think: what is traditional food on your Thanksgiving table?
7 comments:
Our dinner is always turkey, gravy, stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and some kind(s) of pie. I'm really looking forward to it!!
Yum! We are so excited, we can't wait. We usually have turkey, ham, dressing, cranberry sauce, various casseroles - sweet potato is my fav. I'm making squash casserole this year. White rice and mushroom rice, green peas - because that's all my cousins would eat for a long time, well the peas, rolls, and rice - various desserts depending on how inspired we feel. Each family brings food. My mom always does the main dishes.
At my grandmother's we always have turkey, ham, gravy, cornbread dressing, various veggies, sweet potato casserole, rolls and grandma's homemade sugar plum pudding. I'm really looking forward to it!!!!
We always have turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, coleslaw,sweet potatoe casserole, a congealed cranberry salad, and a dessert called "pumpkin delight." I usually cook most of it, and my mother brings the slaw and congealed salad. While I'm cooking we always sip on muscadine wine, (which we now get at Publix) but which my grandfather used to make. It's a longstanding family tradition to have that during the cooking process. I always enjoy the day, even though all that cooking can be a bit tiring!
YUM! You all have some great sounding dinners! We should have a recipe exchange.
Corn bread dressing, sweet potato souffle, ham and turkey, yeast rolls, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie are traditions here. We usually do a fruit salad of some sort too but not this year. We had an early Thanksgiving with Bryans mom a couple of weeks ago when they were down and so we are actually doing chicken on Thanksgiving day this year. We are kind of turkey and hamed out. ;-)
I hope you guys have a beautiful Thanksgiving and that Gracen will be feeling better by then.
Hey Dana...I forgot to post that my dad is just fine. He just had to have some regular tests done and everything was normal.
Thanks for your prayers.
Oh, even though we don't have it every Thanksgiving, I want to have turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce (w/out the whole berries), mashed potatoes and rolls. AND pumpkin pie.
We were able to have a traditional Thanksgiving potluck dinner with other missionary colleagues last night and had just about all of the above except the dressing. I missed that
Post a Comment